Saturday 11 August 2012

'Little Talks' by folk indie band Of Monsters and Men

Sigh.... I've officially fallen in love with a music video:)

Now, I'll admit I'm a bit fickle when it comes to music videos, easily falling in and out of love with them as it were—but this one is a keeper! I came to 'Little Talks' a bit late in time. From what I understand, the video actually debuted on Youtube in February 2012. Yes, it's August. Yes, I've missed out on this gorgeous creature for *counting* five months now! Bloody hell, where have I been?? Well, thank goodness I finally got to see it:)

Beautiful, creative, artistic and full of rich imagery and mythological references, the video for 'Little Talks' features a fey/witch/otherworldly personage who helps five humans as they trek through a harsh landscape, coming upon fearsome creatures along the way... The video is animated for the most part, stylistically gothic I thought, and definitely fantastical throughout. The song's beat/rhythm is infectious (folk music, I think);  somehow the dark tone to the video and lyrics does not in any way reduce its infectiousness. It's a smart blend of elements that creates just the right mix of hope and tragedy in a listener/viewer. Let's just say that I was left with a feeling of completeness at the end of this poignant tale:)

Right, I'll refrain from analysing it any further, simply because I think this kind of a visual delicacy should not be theorised to death, hmmm?:) Oooh, I love this video so much. And I love the song too, of course!:D

Do check out 'Little Talks' below, and get the single/album ('My Head Is An Animal') if you haven't already! By the Icelandic band, Of Monsters and Men, here is *drumroll*... 'Little Talks'!



Share/Bookmark Subscribe

3 comments:

Mira said...

Wow, cool video! I like the style and the storytelling. Nice combination of elements. Thumbs up! :)

Mara Valderran said...

Thank you for this! Whatever rock you have been under that prevented you from finding them until now, I am apparently hiding under the rock under it! :)

Isabella Amaris said...

Mira - Glad you liked it! Had a feeling you would:)

Mara - lol Yeah I'm still half under that rock unfortunately. Glad you liked the video, and thanks for dropping by:)